ERE Gifted/High Ability Magnet
Eagle Rock Elementary Gifted/High Ability Magnet School is a second through sixth grade program dedicated to educating the leaders of the 21st Century. Our 5-year curriculum provides a rigorous and varied program with many enrichment opportunities. Students are regularly involved in hands-on learning and dynamic discussions that promote critical thinking, empathy and strong speaking skills.
Our pedagogy and approach to educating the gifted and high-ability child is based on the most current research in gifted education. The G/HA Magnet teachers motivate each child to reach their fullest academic, social and emotional potential.
Enrollment in the magnet program requires an eChoices LAUSD application. Applicants to the magnet programs MUST be residents of LAUSD at the time of application and while participating in the magnet programs. Out of area students are not eligible to apply for this magnet. Post office boxes are not accepted as proof of address. Please check if LAUSD is your resident district by visiting the LAUSD Resident School Identifier.
Click here for more information about the criteria for Gifted/Highly Gifted Magnets.
G/HA Magnet Teachers
Ms. McBride, 2nd
Ms. Lee, 3rd
Ms. Gott, 4th
Ms. Stanco, 5th
Mr. Cugley, 6th
More information about Magnet programs and the application process can be found at
Eagle Rock Elementary School’s Gifted/High Ability Magnet offers students an outstanding academic experience in a small community school environment. Our educational goal is for all students to participate in rigorous educational experiences that are designed to challenge their academic giftedness.
Eagle Rock Elementary School’s Gifted/High Ability Magnet was established for students with extraordinary academic abilities. The population is culturally diverse, which gives all students the opportunity to work with children of different beliefs and values. Students benefit from a challenging curriculum with high expectations from their teachers. All students score in the “proficient” and “advanced” category of the California Standards Test. They make a minimum of a year’s academic progress each year. The curriculum is extended and enriched by activities and experiences that encourage them to think beyond their classroom walls. The educational program, which meets the emotional and academic needs of these exceptional students, enables them to successfully matriculate into the most challenging middle school programs in the Los Angeles area and prepares them to function successfully in the 21st Century.
Statement of Purpose
The Gifted/High Ability Magnet is a small Magnet Center located on the campus of Eagle Rock Elementary School. We are an LAUSD Model of Excellence School: 100% of our students score at the “advanced” level on the California Standards Test. Eagle Rock Elementary School’s Gifted/High Ability Magnet students reside in many different neighborhoods in Los Angeles. The cultural diversity of our students contributes to the Magnet’s personality by fostering a broad outlook and allowing students who might not otherwise interact, to learn to work together. The program establishes a supportive learning environment in which students acquire knowledge and skills, develop a healthy self-image, positive social behaviors, and learn to appreciate and embrace diversity. The program has a rigorous academic focus in Reading/Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, Technology and The Arts. Instruction is guided by the California State Standards, which are extended and enriched through the use of whole group, small group, partner and individual projects, which are either long or short term. Project based assessments and a choice of alternative assessments are combined with conventional tests in order to reach all students at their interest level and asses their understanding in unique ways. Intrinsic motivation, respect for other students, our community and the environment is valued. Social skills, study skills and study habits are taught and encouraged. Our goal is to prepare students to function at their highest levels in middle school, as lifelong learners and as future leaders in our community and the world.
- The goal of the Gifted/High Ability Magnet is to educate gifted students in a rigorous, academically challenging atmosphere commensurate with their needs and abilities.
- Every student is entitled to an education that promotes individual respect, dignity and self worth.
- Students learn in different ways and have varying abilities in different subject areas.
- Students will receive a quality education as delineated by the California Content Standards, the California State Frameworks and the guidelines established by the Gifted and Talented Education Program.
- Students, parents, teachers and administrators have a shared responsibility to advance each student’s education.
- Students need to become self motivated, self confident, lifelong learners beyond the confines of their classrooms.
- Students need to sensitize themselves to the feelings of others in order to work effectively in small or large group settings.
- The small school, family atmosphere of the Magnet encourages students in all academic subjects (Reading/Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies,) and Technology and The Arts.
- Teachers will participate in professional development activities and courses to advance their academic subject knowledge and their expertise in gifted education.